Proactive Compliance Program: Now focussing on self-employed babysitting and child minding services

In Western Australia people who engage in child-related work are required to have a WWC Check. The Proactive Compliance Program targets specific areas of child-related work as part of the WWC Screening Unit’s ongoing commitment to child safety. We are currently focusing on self-employed individuals who advertise babysitting or child minding services online.

Our current ‘Be on the right side of the law’ campaign aims to:

  • Promote the WWC Check as a regulatory requirement to self-employed individuals who advertise babysitting or child minding services
  • Ensure that individuals who advertise these services hold a current WWC Check.
  • Encourage parents to protect their child’s safety by ensuring the service has the rights checks.
WWC Check advert image of carer with child

What services are included?

Babysitting services include paid and self-employed babysitters, child minders, nannies, au pairs and demi pairs. The relevant category of child-related work that applies to this work is category 14 – A baby sitting or child minding service, but not including an informal arrangement entered into for private or domestic purposes.  

To help you determine if you need a WWC Check see our ‘Do I need a WWC Check?’ page.

I have been contacted by the WWC Screening Unit about my babysitting or child minding service. What should I do?

If you have received an email, text message or call from us to verify your child-related work and WWC Check, you should contact us to verify your situation and confirm your current WWC Check. You can email us at or call us on 1800 883 979.

So, what is a WWC Check and why is it important?

A WWC Check is a child safety strategy which provides ongoing screening of people who engage in child-related work. The Check aims to improve children’s safety, by helping to prevent people who have charges, convictions and other relevant behaviours that indicate they may harm a child, from working with children in certain paid and volunteer work.

What if I am just babysitting my friend’s son as a favour – do I still need a WWC Check?

A WWC Check is not required for informal private arrangements. This would include situations where you have offered to help a friend as a favour (and you do not engage in other child-related work).

However, if you then advertise your services as a babysitter and have a number of clients, including your friend’s son, then this would be considered a formal arrangement and a WWC Check would be required.

Why should I show my WWC Check to parents?

Showing your WWC Check to parents is considered best practice and is part of establishing your credentials for the role in question. It is also good business sense and demonstrates your contribution to child safety. You may also wish to promote that you have a WWC Check in your advertisement. Parents who ask to sight your Card can validate it on our Check WWC Card Validity page which will confirm that it is valid (and not just current).

Do I have to show parents my WWC Check?

If you are self-employed, that is, you work for yourself then yes, you are required to show a parent your Check if they are hiring your services. This way they can verify that it is valid and current.

However, if you work for an agency such as a babysitting company, then it is your employer’s responsibility to ensure that you hold a valid Check. A parent can therefore ask the service to confirm that you do in fact have a WWC Check.

If you operate a self-employed business, but employ staff in child-related work, then it is your responsibility to ensure that staff comply with the WWC Check requirements. For more information about your responsibilities see our Managing WWC Check Responsibilities page.

What happens if I don’t have a current WWC Check?

Engaging in child-related work without a current WWC Check is an offence with penalties of up to $60, 000 and five years imprisonment. If you engage in child-related work, then you must apply for a WWC Check immediately. You can show your organisation or parents using your service your application receipt, which is proof of your pending WWC Check application. For more information about how to apply visit our How I apply for a WWC Check? page.

What if my WWC Card has expired?

If your WWC Card has expired, then you must re-apply for a WWC Check immediately. It is an offence to engage in child-related work without a current WWC Check or application for one. For more information about applying visit our How I apply for a WWC Check? page.

What else should I be doing to create a safe environment for children?

If you provide services to children, then it is important that you consider the National Principles for Child Safe Organisations and how they apply to you and your organisation. Obtaining a WWC Check is one child safety strategy, however there are many others that will improve your practice and the safety of children in our community. For further information on what you can do to create a safer environment for children, visit our Child Safety page.

Page last updated10 November 2021