The WWC Check is only one strategy to keep children safe. There are many things employers and organisations that work with children can do to make sure their organisations are child-safe and child-friendly.
Safeguarding strategies include:
- commitment to protecting children,
- child protection policies and procedures,
- screening and reference checking,
- orientation and ongoing supervision and training,
- good communication with parents, and
- empowering children to know their rights and who they can talk to if they have concerns.
For more information about safeguarding children please see our Safer Organisations Safer Children booklet.
More information can also be found in the National Framework and Guidelines for creating safe environments for children:
National Framework Schedule: An Evidence-based Guide for Risk Assessment and Decision-making when Undertaking Background Checking
National Framework Schedule: Guidelines for Building the Capacity of Child-Safe Organisations
National Framework Schedule: Guidelines for Information Sharing Across Jurisdictions
National Framework for Protecting Australia's Children 2009 - 2020
You may also find the following websites useful:
Australian Childhood Foundation
Commissioner for Children and Young People Western Australia
New South Wales Commission for Children & Young People
Victorian Commission for Children and Young People
Protective Behaviours WA
Safe Clubs 4 Kids