Applicants and card holders

If you are an employee, volunteer, student or self-employed person there are laws and child-safe practices you should be familiar with if you engage in child-related work in Western Australia and/or the Christmas and Cocos (Keeling) Islands.

The WWC Act defines people in ‘child-related employment’ and this includes employees, volunteers, students and ministers of religion. To see the definition of ‘child-related employment’ please click here.

When applying for a WWC Check you will need to identify if you are engaging in child-related work as an employee, volunteer, student or self-employed person. If you have more than one job or role in child-related work, you must apply as a paid employee (or self-employed person).

Are you a volunteer who receives no money or remuneration?

The WWC Screening Unit considers you to be a volunteer if you engage in child-related work for an employer or volunteer organisation for no financial reward or remuneration. 

Are you a volunteer who receives some money or remuneration?

If you are a volunteer who engages in child-related work but you receive some financial reward or remuneration you should discuss this with your employer or volunteer organisation to determine if you are considered to be a volunteer or paid person. 

If you receive payments that only cover the costs of carrying out your child-related work then you are considered to be a volunteer by the WWC Screening Unit. For example a volunteer secretary of a recreational club may receive an honorarium to cover the costs of postage, stationery and travel expenses. If however, the payments you receive cover more than your expenses for your child-related work, then you are likely to be considered a ‘paid employee’ for the purposes of your WWC Check. For more information about determining if your work is considered voluntary or paid please click here.

Are you a student?

The WWC Act defines a student as a person completing an educational or vocational course of study with an education provider who may undertake child-related work as part of that course. If you are a student and your placement (required practical training) will involve child-related work then the term ‘student’ applies to you.

Are you a self-employed person?

If you carry out child-related work as an individual for gain or reward other than in the course of child-related employment; you operate a child-related business and are self-employed. You may also as a self-employed person employ people to engage in child-related work for your business. For information about your responsibilities as an employer please click here.

Page last updated06 August 2020