Employers and Organisations

If you are an employer, volunteer organisation or education provider, you have responsibilities and obligations under the WWC Act if you have any employees, volunteers or students who engage in child-related work in Western Australia and/or the Christmas and Cocos (Keeling) Islands.

Are you an employer or volunteer organisation?

You are considered to be an employer or volunteer organisation if you employ or propose to employ another person in child-related employment:

  • under a contract of employment (whether written or unwritten),
  • on a voluntary basis under an agreement (whether written or unwritten), or
  • as a minister of religion or in any other capacity for the religious purposes of a religious organisation.

Are you an education provider?

Under the WWC Act an education provider is an organisation that offers a tertiary course of study, where students are required to undertake child-related work as part of their placement (required practical training) in order to obtain a degree or qualification.

An education provider is defined in the WWC Act as:

  1. a university established or continued under an Act of this State, the Commonwealth, or another State or a Territory; or
  2. the university company as defined in the Bond University Act 1987 (Queensland) section 2; or
  3. a college or other vocational and training institution as defined in the Vocational Education and Training Act 1996 section 5(1); or
  4. a school specified under the Vocational Education and Training Act 1996 section 6(1); or
  5. an authorised non-university institution, a recognised Australian university or a recognised overseas university as defined in the Higher Education Act 2004 section 3; or
  6. any other provider of an educational or vocational course prescribed by the regulations for the purposes of this paragraph.
Page last updated07 January 2021